Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Tobias Harris, Tennessee Commit and Number 5 Overall (2010) Tops 2,000 Point Mark


Tobias Harris of Half Hollow Hills West High School (20-0) on Long Island scored 27 points in a county quarterfinal victory on Tuesday night. This brought the number 5 overall recruit in the 2010 class, who is committed to play for Bruce Pearl at the University of Tennessee, to 2,008 career points. To put this in perspective, New York State's all-time leading scorer, Lance Stephenson, finished his career with 2,946 points. However, that number is quite skewed with the difference in number of games played between the New York City high schools and schools elsewhere throughout the state.

During Stephenson's high school career, Lincoln High School played an average of 30.4 games per season. And while Harris's senior season is not yet over, beginning with his 8th grade year, his teams have averaged playing only 22, not to mention he missed some action his junior year due to injury. Hills West could realistically play another 7 or 8 games this year. Yet even with the disparity in games played, after eclipsing the 2,000 point mark, Harris joins the likes of Stephenson, Cleveland Cavaliers guard Sebastian Telfair (2,785), and former NBA All-Star Kenny Anderson (2,621) in New York State's 2,000 point club.

In an interview with New York Newsday's Stephen Haynes, Harris showed that surpassing this plateau is not taking any focus away from his team's goals. "It's a great step in my career and it'll be nice to look back on, but for now I'm just worried about us winning states." Harris and the Colts will be back in action this Sunday night at 7PM in the Suffolk County Class AA semifinal.

Check out our videos with Tobias:
HIGHLIGHTS
INTERVIEW

No comments:

Post a Comment

ABOUT ME

Basketball is not what I do, it is who I am. When I was a senior in high school I made the decision to forego college so that I could commit every waking moment to my passion. I've tried to give my job a label, but there really is no one title that describes it. My old site focused on covering high school basketball in Illinois and reporting recruiting news, and DP B-ball was created to enable my staff and I to do much much more. This blog is a transition site until the real DPBball.com gets released, and my staff and I will be updating daily with tons of fun and exciting content about everything high school hoops. With highlight videos, interviews on camera and off, recruiting news from around the globe, compelling feature articles, and much more, DP B-ball is the place to be for anybody who shares my passion. It's YOU, the people of the basketball community, that make it possible for me to do what I love every day, and for that I am forever grateful and willing to do whatever I can to help you all just like you do for me. So email me anytime, and if you love hoops like I do, consider me your friend. Thanks, and enjoy!

Followers